Sunday, September 21, 2014

Goose on the Loose! Class Reflection Mother Goose: A New Perspective

I, like many other children, was told a variety of Mother Goose rhymes when I was younger.  I did not know what exactly the rhyme was talking about, and before reading this chapter and exploring the given website, I still did not stop to think what exactly I could be singing about!

Mother Goose rhymes talk about real events, and are often times very dismal and sad!  I thought, why would we ever sing these things to children, let alone teach it to them!  Though these songs and rhymes are rather depressing when you think more deeply about them, the fact of the matter is they portray history, and are a continuing tradition across multiple generations.

I never really stopped to think about how Mother Goose rhymes originated.  Did you know that Mother Goose rhymes first started in 1780?!  Mother Goose has been the face of nursery rhymes for over 140 years!  I was also very surprised to see that Mother Goose has a strong affiliation with ancient Greek mythology.

Reading about Mother Goose rhymes opened my eyes to just how intertwined with society Mother Goose rhymes are.  For example, I had no idea that Mother Goose has been used as a marketing strategy that harps on the innocence of childhood.  Ironic!!
                                               


                                                
References: http://eclipse.rutgers.edu/goose/what/

Here is a link to a classmate's blog that really goes into detail about different nursery rhymes with visuals and explanations for each! check it out: Lindsey's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment