Tuesday, November 25, 2014

But How Do I Teach It? Week 13 Chapters 11&12 Analysis

Chapter 11: Instruction

The presence of literature in the classroom is not enough.  We must also know how to teach it, as well as weave it into our curriculums.  I really liked this chapter because it highlighted the teaching aspect of literature, as well as gave resources on how to integrate teaching strategies and specific curriculums.  Figure 11.1 on page 340 was helpful, as developing literacy coaches, because it gives examples of what set programs with intertwined literature looks like.  Throughout the chapter, however, I really enjoyed the teaching points: they were familiar to me and helped me organize the content learned in the book, mentally.  Reading aloud, storytelling, choral speaking, and drama are just a few of the practices that can be used in the classroom that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Chapter 12: Instruction in Middle and High School

I did not really find this chapter helpful because I am a certified elementary teacher.  Middle and high school is out of my comfort zone, nor is it relevant to my classroom experience because I have only had interaction and experience with the younger grades.  However, I think that this chapter is helpful for someone that does teach these grades, and that they would find this chapter as helpful as I found Chapter 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment